In my last blog I spoke about setting business resolutions for 2020. But how do you make them stick? How many of us set New Year’s Resolutions and get to mid-January and they’re already a distant memory? Below I share a few tips on how to make sure you can tick off all your 2020 resolutions and goals before Santa next comes.
- Get a Buddy – This may be the most important thing you do all year. Research shows that only 8% of people who make New Year’s resolutions actually fulfil them! Not great odds. However, studies have found that people are 65% likely to meet a goal after committing to another person that they’ll achieve it. That’s a pretty big increase. However, a person’s chance of success increases to 95% when they have ongoing progress and accountability meetings with their buddy. That’s a huge difference! If that’s not enough to get you on the phone to line up your business accountability buddy right now, I’m not sure what is!
- Write it down – Write your business goals down and put them in a place where you can see them every day. Seeing your goals daily will remind you where you’re heading and help keep you on track.
- Make it Measurable – Make your goals clear and measurable. Think ‘increase sales by 10%’ rather than ‘increase sales’. Keeping things clear and measurable will allow to easily monitor your progress, make adjustments if needed and importantly know when to celebrate your wins.
- Make it Achievable – One way to lose focus is to set goals which are completely unattainable. While it’s important to challenge yourself and dream big, make sure the goals you set for your business are achievable and perhaps think about breaking some of those BHAGs (Big Hairy Audacious Goals) up into smaller steps.
- Surround yourself with success – As the saying goes ‘you are the average of the people you spend your most time with’. Surround yourself with types of people what you want to become. Want to be a successful and inspired business owner? Surround yourself with successful and inspired humans. In doing so you’re not only bound to pick up some tips and tricks but you will stay motivated and focussed.
- Regular Reviews – Don’t wait till 31 December 2020 to review how you’ve gone, set aside some time to review your progress regularly. This allows you to track things and make adjustments where necessary.
Good luck with setting your business resolutions and putting processes in place to help you achieve them. Looking for an accountability buddy? Please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org as I love working with my clients to help them achieve their business goals.